Simon Byrne is the main man at Think Project Design
Simon Byrne is the main man at Think Project Design. He has worked professionally in the audiovisual and event industries for over 30 years. His first job was as a projectionist at the Joint Services Staff College in Canberra. Since the JSSC role Simon developed his career and skills in Sydney heading up the audiovisual department at the Intercontinental Hotel and then as the Technical Director for Intercity in Sydney. In 1991, Simon established Audio Solutions in Canberra.
Audio Solutions provided audiovisual equipment and services for events as well as multimedia installations. Under Simon’s stewardship, the company grew to a full time operational staff of 22 together with some 20 casual employees. Audio Solutions specialised in providing excellence in technical services for events and multimedia installations all over Australia and overseas. Simon, and as a result of his dedication, the company, was the recipient of many awards.
Simon retired from Audio Solutions late 2005 to concentrate on his first passions, the production of events and multimedia installations (as opposed to running a substantial AV Company). Simon has worked in the USA, Thailand, Indonesia, China, Vietnam, Fiji, New Zealand, Malaysia, Singapore and of course all over Australia. He is a veteran of thousands of events including involvement with the 2000 Olympics, numerous government events for the Department of Defence, Parliament House, Royal visits, and US Presidential visits to name but a few.
Simon is known for his exceptional attention to detail and planning which results in professional projects delivered on time and on budget.
Simon is also a Partner with Julius Partners. The firm assists with people planning, buying, restructuring or selling a business valued at under A$20m
Simon is a technical writer for CX Magazine.
Cx Magazine is the voice of technicians in entertainment and audio visual across Australasia. Since 1990 they have published the trade journal of note, and from 2010 broadcast on CX-TV. CX publish on all media platforms. The magazine assists with improving technical standards, and advocate for the professionals working in the industry.
Simon has written on wide ranging industry technical topics, as well as issues facing the industry such as employment matters, tax, public safety and occupational health and safety.
Some have Simon’s articles have been reproduced on our blog.
- Meyer System Optimisation
- Licenced Rigger
- Audio Engineering Society Conferences – 2012, 2014, 2016, 2018
- Red Hat Systems certified systems administrator
- Appliance Test and Tagging (AS3760)
- Electronics trade certificate
- 2002 – Ford Small Business Owner of the Year (Simon Byrne)
- 2003 – Ford Small Business Owner of the Year (Simon Byrne)
- 2003 – Telstra & ACT Government Small Business of the Year (Audio Solutions)
- 2003 – Finalist in the Telstra National Small Business of the Year Awards (Audio Solutions)
- 2001 – State Winner, Excellence in Technical Production
- 2002 – State Winner, Excellence in Technical Production
- 2003 – State Winner, Excellence in Technical Production
- 2003 – National Winner, Excellence in Technical Production
Multimedia Installations that Audio Solutions
completed by Simon and his team include
- Australian War Memorial – Second World War Galleries – all multimedia and control
- Australian War Memorial – Bradbury Aircraft Hall – multimedia and control
- Australian War Memorial – ANZAC Hall – multimedia and control
- Canberra Visitors Centre – Full multimedia design and installation
- Parliament House of Australia – Multimedia design and fitout of theatrettes
- Department of Defence – Various operations rooms. Design and installation.
- Questacon – Theatrette multimedia design and fitout
- Regatta Point – Full multimedia design and installation